Photo By: Deborah Murray, Year in Wine
Every year on March 3rd, National Mulled Wine Day (#NationalMulledWineDay) is celebrated in honour of the last stretch of the cooler months. What is mulled wine, you ask? Mulled Wine is a warmed, spiced wine drink drunk during the cooler days with friends and family. You can make it your own however you’d like by changing or adding different ingredients, but we’ve got a recipe for you to try out using Okanagan Crush Pad’s Narrative Non-Fiction Red Blend 2017!
Any red wine that is medium to full-bodied will work for this recipe, but we chose the Narrative Non-Fiction 2017. This wine is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc from a Certified Organic vineyard in Osoyoos. Fermented and aged in concrete vessels for 8 months, the wine provides aromas of wild herbs and dark berry fruits that lead into a lush textural mouthfeel and fine supple tannins with a fresh, lengthy finish.
With the help of Deborah Murray, the finished creation of this spiced Mulled Wine recipe is all you need to satisfy your cravings! Read below to find out how to make it.
You will need:
- 1 bottle of red wine (shop the Narrative collection here)
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken into pieces
- 5-10 whole cloves
- 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons of runny honey
- 1 heaping tablespoon of your favourite holiday spices (nutmeg, coriander, allspice, peppermint, etc.) and then dissolve into one glass of water
- Put water in a large pot over medium heat
- Add cinnamon sticks, honey and spices
- While the honey is dissolving, cut orange into quarters lengthwise and then cut in halves to make 8 pieces
- Push two cloves into the skin of oranges and add to pan and then pour in entire bottle of wine
- Turn the heat up, but do NOT boil. If it starts to bubble, remove from heat
- Add sugar is needed and serve hot!
*Garnishing options: Lemon slices, cinnamon sticks, or Brandy if you want more punch!
If you try out this recipe using any Okanagan Crush Pad wines, don’t forget to tag us on social media @okcrushpad!