Serves: 8 tostadas
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 40 minutes
For the Spot Prawns:
· 24 spot prawn tails, shells and tails removed
· 1 tablespoon olive oil
· 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
· 1 tablespoon lime zest, finely grated
· 1 teaspoon chili powder
· ½ teaspoon dried oregano
· ½ teaspoon salt
· ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Tomato-Avocado Salsa:
· 1 cup tomatoes, seeds removed and finely diced (~2 medium tomatoes)
· 1 cup avocado, finely diced
· ¼ cup jalapeños, seeds and membranes removed (~1 large jalapeno)
· 2 tablespoons red onion, finely diced
· 2 tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
· 1 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
· ¼ teaspoon salt
· ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Cilantro Lime-Crema:
· 1 cup sour cream, 14% fat
· ¼ cup lime juice
· ¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped
For the Tostadas & Garnish:
· 2 cups canola oil, for frying (or your preferred deep-frying oil)
· 8 corn tortillas, 4” wide
· 2 cups red cabbage, finely shredded
· ¼ cup cilantro leaves, for garnish
· 8 slices fresh jalapeños, for garnish
· 2 limes, quartered, for garnish
Marinade the Prawns:
1. Begin by preparing the spot prawns. Add the prawns to a mixing bowl along with the olive oil, garlic, lime zest, spices, salt, and pepper. Mix to combine then place in the refrigerator to marinade for 30 minutes. While the prawns are marinading, prepare the Tomato-Avocado Salsa and Cilantro-Lime Crema.
For the Tomato-Avocado Salsa:
2. Add all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix to combine. Taste and adjust the salt and lime juice if needed. Set aside.
For the Cilantro-Lime Crema:
3. Add all the ingredients in a small bowl and mix to combine. Place in the refrigerator until you are ready to assemble the tostadas.
Fry the Tostadas:
4. Heat the canola oil in a large pan and heat to 400 degrees F. Drop a corn tortilla into the oil. If it begins bubbling immediately, your oil is a good temperature. If the bubbles are slow to form, remove the corn tortilla and continue to heat the oil.
5. Fry the tortillas for 30 seconds per side, until they become a light golden brown and become crisp. Remove from the oil and drain on a paper towel. Continue the process for the rest of the tortillas. Set aside.
Grill the Prawns:
6. Heat a grill to 400 degrees F. Once hot, place the prawns on the grill and cook for 1-2 minutes per side, or until the prawns turn pink and opaque. Remove the prawns from the grill and set aside.
7. Add the crisp tostadas to the grill and cook for 1-2 minutes per side until golden brown. This step is optional, but it adds lots of grilled flavour to the tostadas.
Assemble & Serve:
8. To assemble to tostadas. Place 1 teaspoon of Cilantro-Lime Crema on the base of a tostada. Top with ¼ cup of shredded red cabbage, 2 tablespoons of Tomato-Avocado Salsa, and three grilled spot prawns. Repeat this process for the rest of the tostadas.
9. Place the tostadas on a platter and garnish the tostadas with extra cilantro leaves, sliced jalapeños, and lime wedges. Serve with a glass of our delicious chilled Free Form Riesling and enjoy!